John Cena removed from WWE Crown Jewel in Saudi Arabia days before pay-per-view event

0
865

WWE star John Cena was reportedly removed Monday from the company’s pay-per-view event scheduled to take place Friday in Saudi Arabia.

Cena was quietly removed from the card and was replaced by Bobby Lashley during WWE’s flagship television show “Monday Night Raw,” ESPN reported.

Lashley will join Seth Rollins, Kurt Angle, Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Hardy, The Miz, Rey Mysterio and Randy Orton in the WWE World Cup matches.

“As always, we maintain an open line of communication with our performers and will address each situation accordingly,” WWE said in a statement.

WWE announced last week it would continue on with the Crown Jewel pay-per-view event despite outcry from fans and politicians over the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi on Oct. 2 in the Saudi consulate in Turkey.

“WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base,” the company said in a statement alongside third-quarter financial results. “Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event.”

Representatives for Cena did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Read more…

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here