Los Angeles County confirmed four more deaths linked to the coronavirus on Tuesday, including the first of a person younger than 18.
The number of deaths in the county from the virus is now 11. Tuesday’s update also included a previously reported death in Long Beach.
The young victim, a teenager from Lancaster, died of septic shock, Lancaster Mayor R. Rex Parris told the Times. The teen’s father contracted the virus himself, Parris said.
“The father had close contact on the job with the public daily,” the mayor said. “This is truly awful, to lose a child.”
In response, Parris said, he is asking that all children stay indoors, and is working to secure 100,000 test kits.
“They aren’t testing hardly anybody,” Parris said. “So we aren’t going to wait for the county. We are going to provide our own tests,” he said.
Two of the people who died were between the ages of 50 and 70. One had underlying health issues and resided in the West Adams neighborhood, health officials said.
“This is a devastating reminder that COVID-19 affects people of all ages,” L.A. County Public Health Department Director Barbara Ferrer said.
The Public Health Department said it was working to confirm whether the case marks the first such death of a minor linked to coronavirus in the country.