While 10 Democrats spent two-plus hours Thursday night making the case for why they are uniquely suited to beating Donald Trump in 2020, the President traveled to Baltimore to do what he does best: Throw red meat to adoring fans.
In this case, the fans were House Republicans, who were in Baltimore — a city Trump referred to as a “rodent and rat-infested mess” over the summer — for their annual retreat.
Trump’s speech, which ran for 68 minutes, was a sort of greatest hits album for the President as he railed against paper straws, windmills and always, always, always Democrats.
Below the most, er, notable lines from Trump’s speech.
1. “Winning is a good thing, isn’t it? Winning? It’s a good thing.”
I, for one, am not bored of winning. Like at all. And away we go!
2. “A man who was not expected necessarily to win, and then he got in gear and he was brutal and brilliant and he did a great job, now soon-to-be and now Congressman Dan Bishop.”
Bishop, who won the 9th District special election in North Carolina earlier this week, was running in a district that Trump carried by 12 points in 2016 and which has not been represented in Congress by a Democrat since the early 1960s.
3. “They turned out and they turned out like people never expected and they were — that was just a great evening of television.”
Trump is talking here, I think, about the coverage of the North Carolina special election. Regardless, it serves as a good reminder that his lens on literally everything is cable television.
4. “Our nation is stronger today than ever before. We have the greatest equipment.”
Our equipment is truly great. Some say the greatest in the history of equipment. Ever.
5. “But we now have the greatest equipment. When I came in two-and-a-half years ago our equipment was old and tired.”
No one wants “old and tired” equipment. No one.