Trump says use of military force in Venezuela is still on the table

0
144

Washington – President Donald Trump said that the use of US military force in Venezuela is still on the table amid its ongoing political crisis and that he turned down a meeting with Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro several months ago. The President’s comments came in an interview taped Friday with CBS’s Margaret Brennan on “Face the Nation” in which he also declined to say what would cause him to use the military in Venezuela, noting only that “it’s an option” for his administration.

When Brennan asked Trump what would make him use military force in the country and what the national security interest for such action would be, he said, “Well, I don’t want to say that, but certainly it’s something that on the — it’s an option,” according to the transcript of the interview.

Last month, self-declared interim president of Venezuela Juan Guaido refused to rule out accepting US military support, saying that the Venezuelan people want to end Maduro’s dictatorship with “whatever pressure is necessary,” but cautioned that he hopes it doesn’t come to that.

Read more…

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here